Tuesday 29 January 2013

Ruark Crusader II Speakers


Ruark Crusader II Floor-Standers

Id heard of Ruark and knew they were well respected but these speakers were surely too modern to be worthy of my time, or maybe?



Well first off, Im open to anything and the build quality of these gave me high expectations. I hooked them up to my old skandia receiver (1969, 8w a chan). Com'on then, lets see what you've got.

    


Wow, blown away with glorious mid-range, detail bursting in front of me. Lovely smooth bass, really tuneful and the top end was very subtle, so analogue. I was convinced!

So they past the "musical test" but what about fidelity? Out comes the Pioneer SA-9900.
Holy crap, that mid range detail really is first class. The top is all there now, even if the upper extreme is a little shy. All the detail was there, I never missed anything but it wasn't quite right. The bass was a little thin and lacked the bottom end I so loved from my transmission lines.

Out comes the Sansui AU-919.
Basically the same story, its all there but I cant live without that bass. Everything else about them is spot on. I like a very warm sound with all the detail and these were very good, they could have been warmer but they were clean, clear, crisp and with punch and for their size have good tuneful bass when mated with the right amp.


  


To sum up. If you fancy a pair, go for it, they are very good. I haven't heard the Ruark talisman but I should imagine the mid-range is the main improvement to be had when "upgrading" to the Crusader.

An interesting thing to point out is the Skandia. It was by no means the "best" sound, the top end rolls off, its "under powered" and its now 40 years past its prime. But that bloody thing is just so dam good, and thats the point of your hifi, you dont have to conform to this one "perfect" sound. If you like playing your music on a 1920s gramophone, do it and enjoy the experience. If you do use a gramophone please comment because thats awesome!


Specifications Ruark Crusader II
System Type: Bass reflex, 3 way
Drive units:
Bass: 180 mm precision cast magnesium chassis, high flux magnet assembly, high temp 40 mm Kapton voice coil.
Mid-range: 75 mm treated fabric dome, vented center pole. Aluminium voice coil.
Tweeter: 25mm trated silk dome.
Frequency Response: 40 Hz - 20 khz ±3 dB
Sensibility: 88dB / 1Watt
Crossover Frequency: 500 Hz; 4 kHz (Precision audio grade components a 15 elements)
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Recommended amplifier power: 25 - 100W
Cabinet: Floor standing ACD, Critically damped MDF double layer construction
Colour Finishes: Veneers in; natural Cherry, Natural Oak, Walnut, Rosewood and Black Oak
Dimensions (HxWxD): 900 x 235 x 320 mm
Weight: 30 Kgs each
Made in UK

4 comments:

  1. Re: Speaker Cabinet Restoration, Oil or Varnish.
    You mention Danish Oil, this is usually Tung Oil with about 20% Poly varnish added.
    If you apply a lot of coates 4 + you will end up with finish that is in effect varnish, quite high gloss and impervious to absorbing any more into the wood/veneer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im just considering selling a Ruark centre speaker, sadly value second hand is almost nothing. I came to be reminded of how good Ruark speakers are. I have a pair of these Crusaders in storage, don't have room right now, but really love the warm rounded sound. They are selling second hand for about £600, they are still worth the £1,600 that I paid for them new in the late 1990s. I had them triamped and triwired, via six monobloc amps. Definitely keepers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I‘m from Austria and have the Crusader 2 too, and also 6 Monos, I can highly recommend this Setup because otherwise you will never hear the full power of these excellent speakers, have only Cyrus in my chain, for me it works perfect 👍

      Delete